Sunday, June 1, 2014

Thing 21 of the 23 mobile things

my pick (Goodreads)


I used to record every book I read in a excel document on my computer. This document was complete with date read, genre and a star rating. In an obvious rookie mistake, about a year ago I fried the hard drive on my computer Among the list of things I lost was this reading list with over three years of titles. Shame on me for not backing up. Finding Goodreads about a year before I lost my list has eased some of my regret and now I use the app regularly to keep track of my reading. I have shelves for a few things, ebook, audio, 5 stars and to remind me which titles in a series I have read, but I don't tag beyond that. It is really easy to add titles by scanning the ISBN barcode on a book so I've installed the app on my phone and Kindle as well as access the site from my laptop. Though I do value the reviews other readers contribute I rarely go beyond adding a star rating and the date completed. Other that the group created by the staff at my library for sharing staff picks I avoid groups and my list of friends is comfortably small. I enjoy seeing what others are reading and exploring titles or authors I'm curious about, but for me just storing the titles I've read is the most valuable element of this app. Clearly I can't be trusted to do it on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment