Thursday, April 24, 2014

thing 12 of the 23 mobile things

Free books, Audiobooks


I was stumped with this one. I don't want to fill my phone with audio books so I didn't add the apps there and Kindle doesn't let me access the suggested sites. My compromise is to report how I do access audio books and get free books.

For the audio piece I use both Overdrive and OneClickdigital. I find that they compliment each other nicely and rarely overlap with what they offer. The selection is great and once I figured out what how to transfer the material via OneClickdigital's somewhat clunky interface I have had really good luck with getting titles both through requesting material and just browsing. I have opted for this fee free way of getting audio books rather than going with the subscription service Audible which is offered through Amazon. I know the selection is as good and the means of accessing the titles less cumbersome, but I am at heart cheap and can't bring myself to pay for a book I can't physically hold.

That brings me to free e-books. Again I get most of what I need form Overdrive, but when I just want a classic I have had really good luck searching for a free version directly from Amazon. Unless there is a current movie out for the title it is pretty simple to find what you need. I have had limited luck searching Google for open source titles and reading in the browser but it seems hit or miss when it comes to being readable on the Kindle.

Whichever way I choose to access material I am a little proud to say I've never had to pay for any of it. I could read exclusively in e-formats and never ever run out of things to choose from.


No comments:

Post a Comment