Friday, March 28, 2014

Thing 7 of the 23 mobile things

Pinterest


Pinterest iconOh Pinterest you great time thief. I have been using this for a little over a year and when I have time to kill and have used all of my lives on Candy Crush Saga, I have been know to dabble in the land of Pinterest. What I particularly like about the app is that you are able to find images for almost anything you are wondering about. I wanted to know what Suffrage jewelry looked like and boom there it was. I wanted a photo of the market in Helsinki, success. It feels like a better resource for quality images than Google images because what you find are usually images posted by people who love what they are posting and have edited out the ads and just plain bad photos. The nature of the format, people choosing to pin what they find interesting, lends to better examples of a topic and the best, most re-pinned tend to be the first that you see. You can also get a good sense of someone's style and interests by looking at their pages. I have learned a lot about my friends and family in a way that I didn't from their Facebook profile or frankly from spending time with them. This format would lend itself to an organization with multiple locations or topics that they wanted to communicate. If a system created a general account and then created boards for each building, it could be a quick easy way to share programs, readers advisory, building updates, displays. The potential for communicating in a visual medium is very inviting. Where Twitter fails to hold my interest with its jumble of letters and symbols I feel like Pinterest invites me to explore in a format which feels much more natural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment